Extrusion Process Optimization System
Expect 5% to 10% Improvement Results
1) A Visual Extrusion and Process Optimization tool which will increase gross pounds per hour and press availability up to 10%. Focusing on:
3) Process optimization
4) Reduction of both production and maintenance downtime.
Major Elements / Tools
- Press Heart Beat- Production optimization through clear graphic visuals
- Visual system at the press as well as any computer on the network
- Downtime Tracking both production and equipment
- Downtime summary and pareto’s
- Production Tracking and Statistics
- Billet logs
- Recipe System (consistency and conformance)
- Easily understood variance reports
- Management by exception
- Integration of Business Systems
Benefits of Downtime Management and Production History Module
Accurate real time production and maintenance downtime tracking and analysis tool
Focus on correcting the things which are creating the most problems (Pareto Charts) with Accurate Real time production data
Detailed production Data – trouble shoot problems – quality (billet exit temp, quench ) – billet logs.
Unless we have the tools to measure, we cannot manage the outcome
How does a Recipe System Work?
At Die Change or Order Change – recipe and order information is transferred to the press PLC’s to control the press functions – examples
- When the last billet of the previous run is on the loader – the billet furnace and log shear information is pushed to the furnace and log shear PLC
- When the press stops extruding the last billet from present order, the recipe for the next order will be pushed the press PLC.
- After the puller has released the job, the quench and puller recipe information are sent to these pieces of equipment
Recipes saved in data base by – Press – Die – Copy – Alloy – Holes – Vendor
- Recipe search based on job (order) sent to EPOS from your ERP system
- If no recipe found:
-EPOS allows operator to clone an existing recipe and then use the cloned recipe to run the order
-Run the order in manual and save recipe after run
Business System Integration
Integration with ERP-Business System (ExtStar, EPICS, ERP)
Operator can focus on quality and productivity.
The first table to the left demonstrates by “Action” the steps which the operator must take to start an order today (present) compared to the ERP / SCADA system. Yellow = Manual Input by operator, Green Means Automatic from recipe system
The second table shows the steps which are required to report production in the ERP.